Gold medals, big trophies, and blue ribbons. No matter what (or whether there is a) reward, there’s no better feeling than taking first place.
Every week, Owler’s Weekly Showdown gives you the opportunity to come out on top with a side-by-side view of your company scores vs. those of your top competitors. Each week highlights one of nine different metrics, including (but not limited to) press mentions, blog posts, and social followers.
As a marketer, this kind of information is not only valuable, but useful in more than one way. That’s why, as part of our Savvy Marketer’s Guide to Owler, we’re following up our post on tips to boost your employment brand with some helpful pointers explaining how to use Weekly Showdown to market smarter.
So whether it’s benchmarking your scores, broadcasting your success to your team, or posting your wins to social media, the Weekly Showdown comes in handy.
Benchmark your work.
A stand-alone score doesn’t mean much. It’s only when you see that number in context that you can truly understand its significance.
The Weekly Showdown displays the metric-of-the-week over time, so you can see how your numbers and scores are trending. As an example, say that you’re focusing on social followers. Your Weekly Showdown covering social follows will come complete with a graph charting your total social followers over the last four business quarters — so you can clearly see if those total numbers are increasing or decreasing, and if so, how quickly.
Plus, the Weekly Showdown also provides a direct comparison between you and your competitors, which can help you understand where you fall in the food chain. So though you may already know that at Paperless Post, your Alexa Rank is 1,782, it’s hard to understand as a single, decontextualized number. Even if you understand what an Alexa score is (a complete ranking of traffic for all websites), it’s tough to determine exactly what those numbers mean and where you should fall. It’s helpful to see that you’re doing better than Minted, with a traffic rank of 3,076.
But when you see your ranking alongside those of your competitors, you’re able to get a sense of what those numbers actually mean and how quickly you’re creeping up on (or falling behind) companies similar to yours.
Show off your wins.
By comparing you to competitors, the Weekly Showdown hands you all the material you need to share your wins with the rest of your team. Because not only does it show that your company is doing well in terms of blogging, press, or whatever metrics you choose to measure success, it shows that you’re in first place. And everyone loves a blue ribbon.
So, for example, when your marketing efforts pay off in the press, you’ll want your team to know. And while a raw number of 143 press mentions may look impressive in itself, when you can show that your top competitor only garnered a fraction of that, that amount of coverage holds a lot more weight.
Something to post about.
Anyone who’s worked in marketing knows that creating posts for social media isn’t nearly as easy as it looks. A considerable amount of thought, effort, and time go into crafting each and every message.
Plus, in order to maintain your followers’ attention and secure your space on their newsfeeds, you have to keep a consistent stream of output, which means posting even when you have nothing to say. More often than not, you find yourself scrambling to fill your queue with relevant and engaging content.
So you can sleep easy knowing that each and every Wednesday, you’ll receive some fodder for your followers via the Weekly Showdown. Not sure how you could use the Weekly Showdown to engage your followers? Check out some examples here.
How can the Weekly Showdown help your marketing efforts?
- A weekly pulse. Each week, remember to keep an eye out for your Weekly Showdown so you can see how your company stands up to the competition.
- Track your progress. Since the Weekly Showdown displays your success over time, it’s an easy way to see your improvement from quarter to quarter.
- Shout it loud and proud. Don’t keep your wins to yourself — when you see your success in the Weekly Showdown, make sure to point it out to your coworkers. Share the scores with them via the company newsletter, chat services, and in real life.
- Post a screenshot. When your company is in the lead, don’t let it go unnoticed. Share the news about your top spot with the people who care about your company, i.e. the people who follow you on social media, receive your newsletter, or read your blog.
- Understand your strengths — and your weaknesses. By showcasing your scores against your competitors, the Weekly Showdown gives you an easy-to-parse look at where you’re in first place, and where you’re last in the race. So you can play to your strengths and work on your weaknesses.
Can’t get enough of our Savvy Marketer’s Tips? Don’t worry, we’re not done yet! We’ll be back with how you can use Owler to gauge market sentiment.
Want your team to start receiving the Daily Snapshot? Have them visit: https://www.owler.com/snapshot/
Want to learn more about The Savvy Marketer’s Guide to Owler?
- Read our introductory post here.
- Part 1: Get Your Brand in Front of 1 Million+ Business Professionals
- Part 2: Get Your Whole Company on the Same Page with Owler
- Part 3: Boost Your Employment Brand With Owler