Learn about some of the more advanced capabilities on the platform.
How do I organize my companies?
There is a lot underway to help organize your companies. Most of this organization will occur on your Dashboard (Owler.com > Menu > My Dashboard). You will organize companies you are interested in into channels. You’ll soon be able to create custom channels and make them private, team-based, or public, and add companies into them and choose who you want to be able to see them. Stay tuned, but for now, take a look at you Dashboard for the first iteration of this functionality.
What is the Latest Alerts section?
In the Latest Alerts section (Owler.com > Menu > Latest Alerts) you can learn about companies that you don’t necessarily follow. We track funding events, acquisition updates, and CEO changes in this section. This section is a feed that displays information by the most recent event at the top.
If you hover your mouse over the name of a company in the funding and acquisition sections, you’ll also see a description for that company.
Is there an advanced search?
There is! Just click the Advanced Search link in the search bar. Clicking on it will bring up our Advanced Search popup. Here you can find companies by filtering for a slew of parameters including location, industry, revenue, employees, total funding, and founding date. Its a great tool for finding prospects in your sales territory (be sure to follow them by hitting the yellow Follow star)!
How do I fine-tune my Daily Snapshot?
There are a few important things you can do to fine-tune the news and emails you receive from Owler, making it a more valuable tool for you and your business.
1. Follow the right companies
Go to Owler.com > Menu > My Portfolio
Here is where you can quickly follow the companies that you are most interested in. Adding them, and unfollowing (unstarring) any that you are not interested in should instantly change your Daily Snapshot news email. If you are looking for news on a particular industry or sector, follow as many companies as you can think of in that space and our product will do a good job covering the news that is going on in there.
2. Change the types of emails you get from Owler
Go to Owler.com > Menu > My Account > Communications Preferences
We allow you to change the types of emails you want to receive. For instance, if you don’t want the Weekly Showdown emails that compare your company to your competitors, you can turn that one off. Or you can choose just to get Instant Insights (Special Reports) on Leadership Team changes but not Funding Announcements. You can even turn off the Daily Snapshot and only get emails from us when big alerts happen with the companies you are interested in. Those are more infrequent but can keep you informed.
3. Change competitor sets
On any company profile page, you can quickly ADD a competitor which will help make the news more relevant to a particular industry. If you see a competitor that should not be there, please let us know via email@example.com and we’ll remove it, which will again help clean up the news we send you.
Can I get the Daily Snapshot weekly or every other day?
We don’t have a direct way, so you’d have to get tricky. If you wanted to only get one Daily Snapshot a week, or every other day or something, you could set some rules in your email application to only deliver those on Monday/Wednesday/Friday for example. It’s a little more complicated but usually those email applications don’t make it too difficult to customize what is delivered and what is filed away somewhere else, including the trash if you wish. Be forewarned though – if a big news item comes out on Tuesday for example and you are set to receive the Snapshot on Friday, you would likely miss seeing that news article. You can always visit a company profile on Owler to see an archive of all news on that particular company if you think you may have missed something.
How do I get published in your Newsletter?
Yes, your company can get more exposure in our Daily Snapshot. There are a bunch of things you can do to increase the likelihood of showing up in a member’s Snapshot.
1. Get published. If your company is the subject of an article appearing in one of the 5,000+ sources we track, it will be eligible to be added to the Snapshot. More well-known publishers get more weight that smaller, lesser known ones.
2. Submit your PR to online channels like PRNewswire and PRWeb. We track those sources and will add your PR to our Snapshot queue when we see it in those channels.
3. Submit your Blog. We will add your content to our Snapshot when you post a new blog. To add a blog, go to your company profile and click the blue “Update this Profile” button in the upper right. Select ‘Social Links’ and add your RSS feed (should be in XML format). Blog entries typically show up in the News section on your profile within 24-48 hours and then will be eligible for Snapshot inclusion shortly thereafter, so be sure to check the news section for your blog posts the day after your submit the RSS to check, and let us know if you don’t see them in there.
4. While you are on your company profile, update it! Most notably, make sure that your competitors are accurate and extensive. Anyone following your competitors would be eligible to see your content in their Snapshot too. Making sure your address, CEO, and other fields are filled in helps make your profile and your company more attractive.
5. Go to your competitor’s profiles on Owler and make sure you are listed as a competitor to them. That way, if someone is following one of your competitors, they could see news about you in their feed since you compete with them. It would be at the bottom of their Snapshot, but it would still give you exposure.
6. Get more followers. If they are following you on Owler they will be exponentially more likely to see your content. For a quick hit, link your signature in all emails directly to your profile. Just copy the URL in your browser to get them directly there.
Remember, each Daily Snapshot is custom-built for that particular member. Even if a member was following your company, they might be following 1,000 more. We pick the most relevant 15-20 articles for each member on a daily basis, so there is no guarantee your article, PR, or blog would show up for everyone. There is always an archive of ALL events we have tracked for you on your company profile on Owler, however, for anyone looking for past news on your company.