Trying to stay on top of company news?
We shared some tips for tackling market research in our last post, but today we wanted to discuss another tricky task: ensuring that you’re always up-to-date with the companies you care about.
An easy first step in tracking a company is to create a Google alert. If you’re tasked with keeping track of important announcements from a group of businesses, however, you’ll have to deal with a large amount of news every day. If your group of companies includes any large organization, then you’ll encounter an avalanche of news stories and speculative blog posts.
How do you know you’re not missing important articles? How do you find the high-value stories in the news haystack?
Answer: Use a search filter to get the news you want.
What are news filters?
News filters do exactly what you think they do – they filter out the stuff you don’t want to leave you with the news you’re looking for.
Here’s are some examples:
You’re an Analyst:
- You want: to hear when a company raises a new round of funding.
- A Google alert might return this information, but you’ll also receive a variety of articles that don’t interest you.
- Take into account the twenty companies you’ve been assigned to track, and this noisy news suddenly poses a threat to your research accuracy, not to mention your patience.
- Solution: Search filters out all articles except ones that involve funding announcements. That’s it!
Or maybe you’re an Investor/Stockholder:
- You want: to hear everything about your investments. If something relevant is published, you want to know about it.
- rYou’ll probably want to filter out blog posts. Only the experts and news outlets get your attention.
- But what if you’re interested in hearing about the competitors of your companies? Their actions may influence the outlook of your investments, prompting you to react accordingly.
- Solution: After filtering out noisy blog posts, simply ensure that your search filter allows for competitor news and events. Keep up with the competition without clogging your news feed.
What about someone in Sales?
- You want: to generate new leads and discover business opportunities.
- Maybe you’re targeting customers of your competitors, but you’re waiting to hear about a company event that you can capitalize on.
- How do you get up-to-date coverage on these events?
- Solution: Focus on funding rounds, acquisitions, and leadership team changes. Filter out the rest. Find companies in transition, and seize the moment!
Get High-Quality Company News, When You Need It. For Free.
Owler delivers hand-curated news from hundreds of sources. We offer a variety of filters for any company on your list, allowing you to focus on:
- Leadership team changes
- Funding announcements
- Press releases
- News articles
- Blog posts
- Video uploads
You’ll rest easy knowing that you’re up to date on the companies that matter.
And remember: It’s completely free. Create an account to get the latest. It doesn’t hurt to try!