Q – Quality
P – Personality
S – Simplicity
S – Speed
First, let me start by saying that we want to go long with Owler. We had a big hit with Jigsaw. Now we want a Grand Slam. Our intention with Owler is to create a company that completely and fundamentally disrupts the information industry. In order to do this we are going to need very clear vision and flawless execution. QPSS forms the foundation and framework of our execution strategy. This framework is designed to guide everything we do – not just how we build our product. Every employee at Owler has the ability and responsibility to challenge anything we do or any decision we make by raising their hand and saying that it does not pass the QPSS test.
- Quality permeates everything we do.
- When a customer looks at our product they need to be astounded by our design and the quality of our information.
- When customers and members interact with Owler they need to be delighted by the quality and integrity of our employees.
- When the world sees our branding and messaging they need to think quality.
- Great companies have great personalities.
- Owler will never shy away from its personality. We will be bold and original. Our personality will shine both externally and internally.
- Like a person, our personality will mature over time, but will never really change.
- Owler’s personality will be purposeful and come out in our products, marketing, and human interactions.
Personality traits of Owler:
- Innovative and disruptive
- Fun and colorful
- Simple and direct
- Honest and transparent
- Disciplined and focused (but not rigid)
- Not afraid to make or admit mistakes
- Demanding of quality and excellence
- Cheerful, optimistic and can-do
- Confident and purposeful
- The world is complicated. Simplicity wins.
- Making hard things simple is the hallmark of excellence.
- Our U/I, product design, and marketing messaging will be simple or we will not release.
- Our pricing, policies, and customer communications will be simple and elegant.
- Quality and simplicity go hand-in-hand.
- Speed is a feature.
- Speed solves a bunch of downstream problems.
- Improvements in speed will be celebrated as strongly as releasing new features.
- We will never release any product that does not wow customers with its speed.
- We will be nimble and speedy in all things, including getting back to customers, making decisions, marketing campaigns, and getting things done.
- A strong sense of urgency is an Owler requirement.
As you can see, we have our work cut out for us. Many of these ideas are far more easily said than done. That said, I am convinced that having this framework spelled out from the beginning will help keep us on task and guide us along our path. We are determined to build a great company and I don’t think we can do it without a framework like this.